All bakers and bread enthusiasts love to have some sourdough bread on their plates. While this is true, some people are intimidated by this bread because of its preparation process. To eliminate this kind of notion, Bakery Komugiba shares with you how they bake their popular sourdough bread.
What is sourdough bread?
Sourdough bread is not like your normal loaf type. This is a slow-fermented bread that uses lactobacillus and yeast. From there, it produces lactic acid, which is responsible for the sour taste of the bread, hence the name. With that being said, expect that your first bite will taste sour!
How to make sourdough bread
Here are the following materials you will need for this recipe:
- Sourdough starter
- Filtered water
- Olive oil
- Bread flour
- Sea salt
- Ground cornmeal.
Preparing the sourdough starter:
- Start by combining whole wheat flour and warm water in a jar. Mix until you reach a thick and creamy consistency.
- Cover with lid and let it rest in a warm place for 24 hours
- Feed your starter with all-purpose flour and warm water. Scoop half of the mixture and place it in a different container. This will promote yeast multiplication. Keep feeding your starter for 7 days.
Baking the bread:
- Whisk the starter, olive oil and warm water together in a mixing bowl. Next, add the flour and salt. Squish the mixture with your hands until all of the flour is absorbed. Let the dough rest for an hour or more.
- Afterwards, roll the dough into a ball or circle. Then, place it in a clean bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. This will allow the dough to rise. You will know your dough is ready when it doubles in size.
- Next, it is time for you to fold the dough. Afterwards, you need to shape the dough by placing it on a floured surface to prevent it from sticking. For its shape, make sure to form it into a circle.
- Once the shaping is done, you will need to let it rise again. At this point, preheat your oven to 232 degrees celsius.
- Once the dough has risen, leave cuts that are ¼ inch deep.
- Place the dough inside the oven and leave it to bake. You will know it is ready when the bread gets a golden brown colour.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool for a while. Once it is cooled, cut it then serve the bread with cheese and cold cut meat!
There you have it! You now know how to make sourdough bread. You can get all the baking materials and ingredients from Bakery Komugiba in Japan. Moreover, you can even purchase a sourdough starter in this shop!